I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Muffins!! And Coffeecake!

Chocolate Cupcakes

Cinnamon Bun Muffins
I wanted to make some muffins to have in the freezer for snacks on the go. As I'm not eating lots of things currently, to try to heal my little breastfed baby's tummy, I am stocking up on eat on the go foods, and stuff that is easy to heat up quickly or just take out and eat, because otherwise I find I'm ravenous and cranky and it takes too long to make something to eat that has protein and fats, to help my blood sugar stay where it needs to be and be satisfying to me. I plan to do a Grab & Go Food type of post in the future.

Comfy Belly is one of my favorite blogs. She has AWESOME coconut flour muffin recipes! My favorites have been Pumpkin Muffins, Cinnamon Bun Muffins (pictured above), and Chocolate Cupcakes. I forgot to add the cacao nibs to the Chocolate Muffins, but will try to remember next time. I used Cacao powder, I'm really enjoying it! I'll use less honey next time, they were a bit too sweet. I'd like to try coconut sugar in them, but will have to add extra liquid, as coconut flour sucks up all available as it expands - making for a very moist muffin, but needs extra liquid if I use a dry sweetener instead of a liquid one, like honey. 

For the Cinnamon Bun muffins,
In place of the yogurt -  I used

1/3 cup refrigerated coconut milk (different from canned, but you could use canned, too) mixed with
1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar

to make the soured milk taste in place of yogurt. I usually use almond milk, but since we're trialing no nuts for my little one, coconut milk it is! (Coconut is not usually a problem for most tree nut allergic people, from what I understand.)

In place of the honey in the muffin batter, I used:
coconut sugar with enough coconut milk to equal the honey,
so I put 1/2 cup coconut sugar in the measuring cup, and added coconut milk (stirring) to make 1/2 cup sweetened liquid. That way they won't be too dry.

For the topping, I used melted extra virgin, unrefined coconut oil and coconut sugar. Date sugar does NOT work well in this topping. This is a very moist muffin, one of my faves. I love to freeze them and eat frozen. MMM!

I've been asked a lot lately where to buy coconut flour. Check out my Products post for that info!

ETA: Last week, I made coffeecake using this recipe! Mix as above and put in 8x8 pan, top with topping. It took longer to bake, so keep an eye on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment