I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Fermented Garlic

I'm starting fermented garlic today! I'm really excited. I LOVE garlic, and love good bacteria that is made through lacto-fermentation. Lacto-fermentation can be dairy free, the "lacto" is referring to "lactobacillus", a good bacteria we need. Fermenting makes more vitamins, more digestible, more good bacteria in your guts, & it just plain tastes good!
To make it dairy free, I used lemon juice (that is fermented, an experiment I didn't know I was doing in my fridge) in place of the whey. It seems you can also use vinegar, but you'd want to use a really good one, like Bragg's Raw Apple Cider Vinegar (you can find it in the health food section at HyVee, Baker's/Kroger, etc).

Next, I plan on trying Quick & Easy Gingered Carrots (but I won't be grating them, they'll be organic baby carrots or sliced carrots).

I got the bag of garlic at Costco, in the produce cooler. 
See my beautiful flowers my friend brought me yesterday?
And in the way back, you can see my 
gallon jar of sauerkraut a friend gave to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment