I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Jam

Mostly thawed frozen strawberries


Starting to melt


Almost done!


Finished product! About 13.5 pints!

I had a bag of frozen strawberries from Costco that had kind of frozen into a giant clump. So I decided to make jam. The 6# bag cost me $8.99, an 8 oz jar of Strawberry jam WITH additives like corn fiber, natural flavors, pear & grape juice concentrate, citric acid and pectin costs about $2.50 at the store. $33.75

I heated the strawberries, poking them with my Pam.pered Chef Mix n Chop (one of my best kitchen tools!), added about 1/4-1/2 cup coconut sugar & kept poking them until it all the big chunks were gone. I then dumped 5 packets of gelatin in, which was a rookie mistake, as I've used gelatin before. You're *supposed* to dissolve it in a separate bowl of warm water/something first, THEN add it to your dish. Oops. It got really clumpy and wasn't making the whole pot gelatinous. Immersion blender to the rescue! That was the best $4 I've ever spent at a thrift store! Then I poured it into jars and let cool on the counter for several hours and now they're in the fridge. If I'd been thinking ahead, I would have gotten freezer jars, so I could freeze them withoutu worry of the jar breaking. I might can them, but we'll see. If I can can them with a water bath canner, I probably will. 

This took me about 15 minutes total time and cost about $.81 per 8 oz (it was probably a little less, but I was generous in my estimations). That's a savings of $1.69/8 oz! Definitely worth my time and the gelatin mistake that was corrected easily enough!


No comments:

Post a Comment