I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Quiche, or if you want to be technical - Frittata

Mornings are hard for me, getting everyone fed, clothed, changed, etc and getting started on the day. Eating breakfast myself can sometimes be a problem. I do the Insanity workout when E3 goes down for a nap around 9, so I really have to make sure to eat something asap after waking up and have enough fuel for the day, as well as my workout.

Last night, I decided to make something I've been wanting to try for awhile, but wasn't sure how to do it. I finally took the plunge, posted "Quiche is basically eggs and veggies, right?" on Facebook and got some helpful replies. "Add milk", "spinach & tomatoes", etc. I learned that a quiche typically has a crust, cheese and bacon with the eggs, so what I made was a frittata. Frittatas are also usually whipped more, incorporating more air than quiches, to make them fluffier.
I grew up calling it quiche, so forgive me if I use "frittata" and "quiche" interchangeably. ;)

My experiment worked great! I baked it last night, put it in the fridge, after it cooled some, and heated up pieces for breakfast. E1 & E2 weren't too sure about it, but E3 and I were quite enthusiastic. I also sent some along with EDaddy for his breakfast at work. The eggs I have are local, free range, so some of the yolks were a vibrant orange. I purposely didn't completely whip them together, because I wanted the varying color to come through. It looks like there's cheese on it...

I liked having it ready so much, that I made another after breakfast, ate one piece and put the rest in the fridge. I left out the leeks and added thawed, cooked mini shrimps without tails.


Frittata aka Quiche in Maryland
8 eggs
1/4 cup almond milk (try to use unflavored, I didn't realize I had unsweetened vanilla until it was too late, but it turned out fine)
1/2 cup broccoli, chopped (I used frozen)
some leeks (put these on half)
4 Tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
Opt. shrimp, tomatoes, hashbrowns, other veggies or meats

Put chopped broccoli, leeks and any other veggies or meats in the bottom of the pan. I used a circular cake pan.
Sprinkle oil on top of the veggies.
Mix eggs, milk, salt & pepper in a bowl, then pour over veggies.

Bake at 350 for 30 minutes or until done.

2 comments:

  1. I made this last week for my family. The husband and I were thrilled with it,however our girls were not. Maybe it was the broccoli that threw them off? I guess more for me.
    Thanks Mary for posting this.

    ReplyDelete