I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Roast Mushrooms & Kale over Mashed Sweet Potatoes

Wow. This was really good. The Hubs even gave it 4 out of 5 stars!

It's from Every Day with Rachael Ray, the Thanksgiving Edition. I looked online for it, but I couldn't find it on her website, so I'm going to type it out here, for anyone who's interested. I made several changes, so my changes are reflected here.

Roast Mushrooms & Kale over Mashed Sweet Potatoes
Serves 4 as main dish & 8 as side (Hubs recommended making it a side dish next time, as he's not a huge vegetarian meal fan.)
2 lbs mixed mushrooms (I just used the normal ones I got from Costco) wiped clean, stemmed and sliced thinly
3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
A few sprigs fresh thyme, chopped (I sprinkled some ground thyme, because that's what I had)
5 Tbsp EVOO (Extra Virgin Olive Oil or just drizzle liberally, like me)
Sea salt & pepper
5 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/2" thick
1/2 cup chicken stock (good thing I made some earlier!)
1/2 cup coconut milk (or whole or half & half)
1 tsp paprika
1 lb Kale, stemmed and coarsely chopped
Freshly ground Nutmeg (or sprinkle, as I did)

Preheat oven to 450. Toss mushrooms in a bowl with EVOO, garlic & thyme. Spread on a stone or baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes. Season with sea salt & pepper after removing from oven. Place in a bowl.

Meanwhile, put Sweet Potatoes with water in a pot and bring to a boil. Cook until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Drain and mash with stock and milk. Season with sea salt, pepper, and paprika.

While potatoes are cooking, toss kale with EVOO and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Spread on baking sheets or stones and roast until crisp at the edges - 10 minutes.

Combine mushrooms and garlic with kale and serve on the mashed sweet potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment