I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Monday, June 20, 2011

Chicken Tortilla Soup

After I took my daughter to Vacation Bible School, the other two and I ran a couple errands, then came home as I tried to clear up the mess I made taking out my cabinet of homsechooling books/supplies to paint Saturday.
While I was doing that, I thought, hmm, I should make supper and soup has been sounding good. I had some chicken broth I'd made after roasting a chicken in the crockpot last week and leftover chicken and carrots, so I threw this together.



Chicken Tortilla Soup

1/2 gallon chicken broth (homemade from free range chickens is best)
leftover chicken and carrots
1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans (it's important to cook red/kidney beans, as they contain a toxin that has to be cooked out)
1 1/2 cups garbanzo beans
1 can diced green chiles
1 quart diced tomatoes and juice
chopped garlic
optional onions

corn tortillas

Put in crockpot and cook on low all day.
About 15 minutes before serving, thinly cut the tortillas into short strips and put in with soup.

I got the idea for the tomatoes, chiles and tortillas from the $5 Dinner Mom Cookbook, which I highly recommend

No comments:

Post a Comment