I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Cream of Mushroom & Steak over Rice

I kind of threw this sauce together, I will work on getting exact measurements for future use, lol.

I heated some coconut oil (because I didn't have any my-kid safe butter substitute, we use Earth Balance sticks), then I added some sorghum flour. I quickly realized that probably wasn't the best idea, as I didn't have all my other ingredients out and ready, and it was browning quickly. Oops. 

You'll need:
cooked and cut up steak or stew meat pieces, salted and peppered (I like to use a lot of pepper on the meat, since my poor hubby can't tolerate onions or much garlic)
optional - sauteed mushrooms, onions, and/or garlic

Butter/Ghee, Butter sub or Coconut oil
sorghum flour (or whatever flour you like to use, it should be a finely ground flour, I didn't use coconut, because I felt it would be too grainy)
Chicken Broth, homemade is best
Plain milk - Coconut (be careful about adding too much coconut milk, I got too much at first and it was very coconutty), rice, or almond
salt & pepper

Heat butter sub, add flour until you have a thick paste.
Slowly add about a cup of milk, whisking away while it blends.
Slowly add chicken broth.
Taste and see if it's right yet. If not, add more of milk or chicken broth, continuing until you have the right flavor and consistency you're going for.
Add meat and veggies.
Serve as soup, over rice or noodles (beef stroganoff like)

This makes a lovely soup or sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment