I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Sunday, February 26, 2012

Sometimes, I'm merely "chewy"...

Source




I love getting together with people. Yesterday, I got to get together with some wonderful ladies from my church. It was a wonderful refreshing, encouraging time of fellowship. We met at a local cafe and could order anything off the menu, if we so desired. I brought Mudslide cookies, chicory/dandelion "coffee" w/coconut oil and maple syrup sweetened whipped coconut cream (for the "coffee"). I asked for hot water and our server was wonderful keeping me supplied with it. 
A dear friend was almost apologizing about the dessert she ordered. I wasn't judging her! I love her! Seems like I get apologized to a lot when people make different choices about food than I do. Guess what, I probably wouldn't be near where I am foodwise if I hadn't been forced into it and learning how to make different desserts...because let's face it - Mary without chocolate is a sad shadow of her former self ;) I've found new and better ways to make desserts. Ways that I don't feel guilty or crappy after eating them. In fact, we have cake for breakfast sometimes, because it's healthy and why not? I want my kids to grow up knowing why we do things and enjoying food and the preparation of it. We're starting to talk about nutrients and how some foods help us. Garlic, for example, is a natural (and delicious!) way to fight infection and boost the immune system. I'm getting rather well known for recommending cut up pill sized pieces of garlic for colds, sinus infections, ear infections, whatever ails ya. 


Everyone is at a different stage of life, I love how Codename: Mama puts it, 


No one has the same information, the same resources, the same income – we’re not the same people, so we’re going to do things differently.


Her post, "Crunchy, but not crunchier than thou" is great. It's a good reminder that we're all in different places and THAT'S OKAY. It's a process. My journey is almost 5 years so far. I still have a long way to go. I'm continually learning new things and tweaking what I've already learned. Sometimes, I see the tip of the iceberg and put it away in the back of my mind, until I'm ready to process that information and learn more. Sometimes I wish I'd gone ahead with it, but the Lord knows and shows me what I need to learn right NOW. Be gentle with yourself. Do what is best for yourself and your family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment