I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Monday, November 1, 2010

"I would DIE if I couldn't eat cheese..."

That is the comment I got from a kid making me a burrito last year (when I was only off of milk & soy). . I wasn't new to food restrictions, so it didn't bother me as much as it might have. I could have replied, "
Really? Are you sure? Because I used to think that, and I haven't died yet..." but I didn't. I shrugged, smiled and said it's not necessary. We waaay overcheese things.

I think it's really important to be careful of how one speaks to those who can't eat certain foods, especially when it's not by choice. I didn't choose for me or my baby to have food intolerances. I prayed for self-control and God gave me food intolerances. I am thankful for these intolerances, because I have put into practice traditional eating/food prep that is healthy, delicious, and good for my family and me. I am thankful to now be at a healthy weight, to look and feel good, even being told I have a "glow". I am thankful that I am now modeling healthy habits for our growing children in a country where healthy habits are appallingly lacking. I am thankful that I get to share how the Lord has blessed me, and the way I eat and look at food, now with others. Almost everytime I'm with people who knew me 56lbs ago, I get asked how I did it. I've written before about attitude. I choose to have a good attitude about my restrictions. It can be really hard sometimes, when everyone around me is eating brownies (a former favorite) or pizza or I smell the nacho cheese food dip on the salad bar. I have hissy fits about it sometimes, when I am focusing on myself and not on God's will for my life. I have a wonderful friend who I text for encouragement and she also reminds me of why I don't eat certain things. I used to have bad GI tract problems. I'd have diarrhea, stomach pain, bad gas that felt like knives, felt icky, greasy skin, and lots of other stuff I don't remember right now or have blocked out. I would have to take Imodium AD if I wanted to eat something greasy, like french fries or onion rings. There was a nagging thought in the back of my mind that if my body was reacting this way and I had to take a drug to counteract the reaction, it probably wasn't the best idea.

So, please be careful how you speak to those who are restricted with their food. It can be really hard to see people eating things you used to love. It is also important for those of us who are restricted to have a good attitude about our restrictions and find new things we love to eat. I've made chocolate cupcakes (when I could have chocolate, lol), now I make Vanilla Bean Cake (yum!) and Cherry Smoothies. I eat  humanely raised beef and free range local eggs! Coconut Oil is not only the healthiest oil, imo, it's decidedly a treat to eat!

2 comments:

  1. You are so right. Attitude is everything. And finding foods to replace those I used to eat. Coconut has been a life savor. I didn't know coconut milk was so great. I have been using it as a substitute for whipping cream in some recipes. We had butternut soup with coconut milk the other night. I don't miss ice cream because I can eat coconut ice cream or sorbet, and avocado pudding rocks! But the cheese...I haven't found a good substitute for cheese. I would really like to eat some pizza! Rice cheese is gross! You should try making some avocado pudding. I know you can't do chocolate, but I'm sure you could find some other strong flavor to overpower the avocado. (Carob is a no go for you, so maybe maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla, or another.) It has such a great texture, smooth and creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Slices of avocado are a good substitute for cheese on tacos, imo, and add healthy fats! (I'm sure you already know this, but in case others don't ;)

    ReplyDelete