I'm a Christian wife & homeschooling mama, saved by faith through grace. I changed my family's diet from SAD (Standard American Diet) to healthy, delicious & nutritious traditional foods. I've recently discovered there's a name for the way that I eat. It's called Primal or Paleo (I like the diet and think of the men and women who worked hard from sunup to sundown, constantly on the go, eating meat, berries they picked, cheese they made. I do not believe in evolution). No grains, legumes, refined sugars, and no/limited dairy.

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

My Super Protein Breakfast Smoothie

People need protein to function. And healthy fat. And carbs from good sources, such as vegetables. I have been on a mission to get extra protein in, since consuming good amounts of protein during pregnancy reduces the risks of toxemia & pre-eclampsia (high blood pressure that can lead to seizures and brain damage), helps red blood cell production, as well as, along with fats, increase satiety after eating.

Various forms of protein


My Super Protein Breakfast Smoothie
1 frozen banana
1 cup Original Almond Milk (or other full fat milk)
1 tsp Spirulina
powder (has 2g protein!)
1 scoop 365 Whey Protein Powder, Vanilla
1 tbsp raw, local honey
1 tbsp Chia Seeds

1/2 tsp ginger, ground
1/4 tsp Probiotic Powder
(probiotics are extremely important to digestion and overall health!)
2 tbsp almond butter
ice

According to www.myfitnesspal.com, this smoothie has 581 calories (which I don't really care about, as long as I'm getting them from healthy fats, proteins and carbs), 70 carbs, 25g fats, 28g protein. To up protein to 44g, add an extra protein powder scoop. To lower carbs, leave out the banana and add extra ice.

*note: I don't believe that protein powder is the best way to get protein. I believe most of our nutrition should come from whole food sources. However, while I am pregnant, I'm not ready to add raw eggs to my smoothie to up the good fat and protein, and there aren't a ton of other ways to get 16g protein per serving (scoop). It's another thing you should do your own research on and make your own informed decision. We research tv's and cars, why not our health decisions? Including medications, doctors, procedures, etc. But now I'm getting onto a whole different topic :)

No comments:

Post a Comment